Patient Notification and Cancer in Russia and the Soviet Union

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Sep 24 14:55:42 UTC 2014

1. As John Dunn pointed out, it is not just a Russian issue, in Europe it used to be the same. In France some years ago our (much older generation) friend was not told that he had cancer, only his sister was.

2. It is in part the question of the attitude towards death. Our culture (Amero–European) by and large pretends it does not happen.

Example 1. I was asking my students what are most important words, eventually they got to любовь, they never got to жизнь and смерть. And I was teaching gender, not philosophy.
Example 2. My father (back in Russia) refused to make a will. As a friend of mine explained, from superstition, that it would accelerate or bring up death. I was too American at that point and had signed my first will a decade prior, as soon as I found out that the New York state takes half of your belongings if you have no will. What! My books!

3. There were studies done in the US that confirm the fact that not knowing that one has cancer increases survival rates. That could also mean the length of time a person lives after being diagnosed.

4. And finally I would like to mention a "novella" by I.Grekova "Перелом" where the doctor has  a remorse for not having told a patient that she was dying (and she wanted to know in order to bequeath her meager possessions, just like me and my books) and a discussion as to who has the right to know and who does not.

Alina

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs