seeking AATSEEL paper: Russian film

DeBlasio, Alyssa deblasia at DICKINSON.EDU
Fri Sep 26 13:52:32 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

The panel New Genres and the Cinematic Nation in Recent Russian Film, which has already been accepted to the January 2015 AATSEEL conference in Vancouver, is seeking a third paper.

This panel will address the appearance of new genres in recent Russian cinema, which corresponds with growth in the Russian film industry in the past ten years. With the state’s increased control over domestic production on the both the financial and content levels, popular genre films have acquired dominant status. Our panel will look at new genres that either affirm or react to these developments.

Chair: Volha Isakava (U of Victoria)
Paper 1: Andrew Chapman (Dartmouth College), "Remaking Past or Present? The 'Remeik' as Genre and the Politics of the Nation”
Paper 2: Laura Todd (U of Nottingham) “The Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing? Fake Documentary films in contemporary Russia” (Laura Todd, U of Nottingham)
Discussant: Nancy Condee (U of Pittsburgh)

Please email me off list with a title and brief abstract.

Best wishes,

Alyssa
Alyssa DeBlasio
Assistant Professor of Russian