Inceptive/Punctual Auxiliaries

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Nov 11 08:47:04 UTC 1998

I'm going to try to revise an old conference paper on inceptive/punctual
auxiliaries in Mississippi Valley Siouan (but mostly in Omaha-Ponca) for
the Siebert memorial collection.  These are (in MV, anyway) a set of
several to many forms looking motion verbs and/or positionals plus or
minus causatives that are glossed things like 'to start', 'to begin', 'to
suddenly', etc., in texts and dictionaries.  Archtypical examples include
Dakotan hiNgla, Omaha-Ponca thi=gdhe, Winnebago jikere, etc. (what,
NetSiouan already?!).  Actually, I think this set may be cognate, though
the Dakotan nasalization is a bit of a surprise.  Anyway, if anyone has
any suggested references or observations, I'd be grateful.  I think there
are c. 100 forms like this, potentially, in OP, IO, etc., but I've not
noticed anything other than text or dictionary references on them in the
standard reference material.  On the other hand, I don't really know the
Dakotan materials.