Archaic A1 p- in Dakotan.

David Rood Rood at Uni-Koeln.DE
Fri Apr 2 15:00:14 UTC 1999

Somewhere (perhaps in the grammar rather than in the dictionary) I
think Buechel gives the conjugation form wahibu for first person of hiyu
'to start coming'.  I can't find a copy of the grammar in the library here
in Koeln and I didn't bring mine with me (the local library copy
anonymously disappears periodically, then reappears -- but now it's gone).
I don't remember what he says about the second person form.  I almost
think I remember a "bu" form for ?u, too -- but definitely NOT "phu".  Can
someone with ready access to the Buechel grammar verify this?  If I
remember right, what is there about the history of "u" vs. "eya" that
would make the "b"/"ph" difference?  (Note that it's NOT "?u", but "u" for
'come' -- the dual is uNku, not *unk?u.)
	At the risk of telling everyone things you already know, I should
probably remind you that ku is the suus form of u 'come'; hi is 'to arrive
coming', i is 'to arrive going'; their suus forms are gli and khi,
respectively.  So hiyu is 'to start coming', suus glic^u, (gli + ku) just
as iyaya is 'to start going' (suus khigla).
	Note, too that there are quite a few cases where a compound verb
is conjugated on both parts -- iyaNka 'to run" (wa?imnake), hiyotaka 'to
come and sit down' (wahiblotake), etc. (again, I'm using my memory --these
should be checked against some more reliable source), and what is
probably etymologically a  reduplicated form, iyaya 'to start going',
iblable, ilale, double inflects but only on the two halves of the
reduplication, not on the first verb in the compound.
	I have just returned to Koeln after 3 days teaching Lakhota in
Denmark -- a very nice experience.  Classes start here again next Tuesday
(today and Monday are Easter holidays) and run to July 2.
	David

David S. Rood
Professor of LInguistics
Institut fuer Sprachwissenschaft