Adverbs in Lakhota

Shannon West shanwest at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 9 05:12:59 UTC 1999

Hi, thank you!

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard C. Lundy <rlundy at huntel.net>
To: <siouan at lists.Colorado.EDU>
Sent: December 8, 1999 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: Adverbs in Lakhota

> Shannon,  et.al.;
>
> I am a Native Studies instructor at Nebraska Indian Community College with
> graduate training in psychology as well as in culural anthropology.  The
courses
> I teach include Dakota Language,  although my own dialect is Lakota.
> Specifically,  my family is from the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe and I have
lived
> and worked in Rapid City,  therefore interacting with many speakers from
other
> Lakota Rez communities.   Besides all that resume' stuff,  I was looking
at you
> bathtub sentence.  To me,  it reads, " He/she told me that John bought a
bathtub
> in the morning or this morning." (although the this would have to be
understood
> by the context of dialog)  In my learning of Lakota,  yesterday is
htalehan.

Yes, it should have read 'this morning'.  My mistake.   Could the sentence
read "He/she told me this morning that John bought a bathtub?"

> If  I understand your concerns re: John and his role,   the word order
that you
> present means to me that John was the buyer and not the teller.
Otherwise, it
> would read,  "Owayuzanzan wan hihanni opetun John omakiyake (lo).  Or move
his
> name to the beginning of the sentence. I'm not a linguist so please excuse
my
> layman's  orthography.  I hope this helps a little.
> Good luck.

It helps a lot.  Thank you.  You say that John is the buyer and not the
teller.  But could John be both the buyer and the teller in the original
sentence? i.e. "He (John) told me that he bought a tub".   How about in the
sentence you give above?  Could it read something like "John told me that he
(John) bought a tub this morning"?

I really appreciate your help.

Shannon West
University of Victoria