Adverbs in Lakhota

Richard C. Lundy rlundy at huntel.net
Thu Dec 9 04:19:53 UTC 1999

Shannon,  et.al.;

I am a Native Studies instructor at Nebraska Indian Community College with
graduate training in psychology as well as in culural anthropology.  The courses
I teach include Dakota Language,  although my own dialect is Lakota.
Specifically,  my family is from the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe and I have lived
and worked in Rapid City,  therefore interacting with many speakers from other
Lakota Rez communities.   Besides all that resume' stuff,  I was looking at you
bathtub sentence.  To me,  it reads, " He/she told me that John bought a bathtub
in the morning or this morning."  (although the this would have to be understood
by the context of dialog)  In my learning of Lakota,  yesterday is htalehan.  If
I understand your concerns re: John and his role,   the word order that you
present means to me that John was the buyer and not the teller.  Otherwise, it
would read,  "Owayuzanzan wan hihanni opetun John omakiyake (lo).  Or move his
name to the beginning of the sentence. I'm not a linguist so please excuse my
layman's  orthography.  I hope this helps a little.
Good luck.

Richard Lundy    rlundy at huntel.net