Inflected Numerals

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Dec 9 20:57:25 UTC 1999

I've been rather busy with a move (just within town in Louisville).
I'd like to welcome all the various new subscribers and encourage them to
submit their comments and queries.

In fact, I have a question of my own!  A recent query on Linguist
regarding implicational universals in inflection of general nominals vs.
numerals reminded me that I had had trouble finding examples of personal
inflection of numerals in the Omaha-Ponca texts, even though third person
forms exist there.  Are there Siouan languages in which numerals can take
personal inflection?  With so many students of Dhegiha on the list, I
guess I can actually ask, too, whether Omaha-Ponca is one of them.

The question on Linguist took it for granted, I think, that numerals are a
kind of nominal, based on the Indo-European model.  If numerals are
actually verbs instead in a given language, it's not so interesting that
they might be inflected even if other nominals are not.  However, it did
seem an interesting question to me, whether Siouan numerals are verbal
enough to permit them being inflected in the first, second, or inclusive
persons.