Inflected Numerals

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Thu Dec 9 21:44:49 UTC 1999

Lakhota numbers can certainly be inflected like verbs, as well as taking
other inflection that makes them look verbal, to me, at least.

This is not particularly uncommon in North America among typologically
similar languages -- such as in the Yuman and Muskogean families, which
share many typological traits with Siouan -- in my experience.

But it certainly is something that many linguists find absolutely
astounding. My former colleague and dear friend Bill Bright used to
comment to me that he couldn't believe that some languages had number verbs.

Pam Munro