More case alignment.

Koontz John E John.Koontz at Colorado.EDU
Mon Feb 15 08:42:36 UTC 1999

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Robert L. Rankin wrote:
> Examples from Ken Miner's dictionary: (~ = nasal V or palatal n) (hi~- is
> the 1sg patient pronoun.)
>
> ka~a~n~e	'fall over' (from *ka~a~ + re)
> hi~-ka~n~e	'I fell over'
> hi~-ka~ yaate	'I'm falling over'

I'm interested in this auxiliary.  It looks like hi...re, doubly
inflected, in that hi + (h)a => yaa, normally, and te is the first person
of re.  It seems to have a progressive reading.  It also appears to be
mutually exclusive with the -re affix that appears in the simple form.

The root kaNaN also appears in Marino, p. 285, as "hokaN" 'falling,
death'.  This definitely suggests that the -re is separable.

> siibre	'fall down, be fallen down' (from siip + re)
> hi~-sibre	'I fall down'

This reminds me of OP/Os a-xi=bdha, except that there the b is the first
person marker with the second co-verb, and this b appears to be constant.
I wonder if this form can also have a progressive something like

hi~-siip yaate

I guess I'll have to keep wondering ...

> siipagishewe	'keep falling down in weakness when running in fear'
> siipa~-i~-gishewe  'I keep falling, etc.'

I wonder if this can be etymologized in terms of siipa 'toe', and an
s^-grade of gisewe 'to calm down, stop trembling'.  Something like 'to
have weakened toes'?

-----

I should admit, that, unlike Bob, I'm inclined to see the -re suffixes in
Winnebago as part of the Winnebago version of the 'suddenly' or
punctual/inceptive auxiliaries that I've mentioned a while ago on this
list.  I am, however, far from sure that I understand this aspect of
Winnebago, so that I have to admit that a comparison with the Dakotan and
Dhegiha forms of the causative doesn't seem impossible either.  What
interests me about these forms in that light is the process of fronting of
the pronouns that seems to have occurred.  This would make the first case
I know of in which fronting or extraction of pronominals has affected
patient pronominals, and that's pretty interesting in itself.