Siouan language programs?

VOORHIS at BrandonU.CA VOORHIS at BrandonU.CA
Wed May 19 02:09:45 UTC 1999

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am updating my article on Siouan languages and linguistics for the
> Plains volume of the Handbook of North American Indians (HNAI) being
> published by the Smithsonian.  I've been asked by Ray DeMallie to
> include, for each Siouan language in the Plains area, information on
> current programs to teach the language in tribal, public or other
> schools and institutions.

Brandon University at Brandon, Manitoba, Canada, offers an introductory Dakota
language course.  The instructor is Doris Pratt M Ed., using lesson materials
developed at the university for this course.  The course is not necessarily
offered every year, but at least every second year.  There has been some
discussion about offering a more advanced course too, but I don't know what
decisions, if any, have been made about that.  I believe I heard that there
were around 30 students in the course last year, but let me try to check on
that number before you send it on.

	Paul