Siouan Lang. Research

SHEA KATHLEEN DORETTE kdshea at falcon.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Jan 26 06:37:57 UTC 2000

Dear Keith Biddle:

I'm curious to know how you happened to write to me about this subject,
but I'll be happy to give what few leads I can give you.  You should know
that I am a linguistics graduate student studying the Ponca language and
am not an anthropologist or historian.  The Siouan language family falls
roughly into three branches:  the Mississipi Valley, the Missouri Valley,
and the Southeastern.  I think the general consensus among linguists and,
I suppose, anthropologists is that the original "homeland" of the Siouan
peoples was in the woodlands, somewhere around the Great Lakes.

If you don't mind, I think I will send a copy of your inuiry, along with
my reply, to the Siouan list, maintained at the University of Colorado,
and throw this question open to the larger Siouanist community, who will
probably be better able to answer it than I can.  I'll also forward you
some instructions on signing up for the Siouan list, in case you're
interested.  Good luck on your research!

Best wishes,

Kathy Shea