Irregular "to eat" in Dakotan

Constantine Xmelnitski mosind at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 10:22:39 UTC 2001

Dear Siouanists:

I wonder what is the cause of irregular paradigm of
Dakotan transitive verb yu'tA.
L/D: 1s: wa'te, 2s: ya'te, 12: uNyu'tapi > uN'tapi,
yul-/yun-/yud-
According to Shannon West, Assiniboine's "yuda"
behaves [at least in some dialects?] as if a regular
Y-verb:
mnu'da - nu'da - uNyu'dabi.

Detransitivized wo'tA (<wayutA) has the following
forms:
L/D: 1s wawa'te, 2s: waya'te; 12: wauN'yutapi >
wauN'tapi;, wol-/won-/wod-
ASB wo'da: 1s wo'wada.

Besudes Dakotan stuff I have only Osage and Winnebago
dictionaries, so I could found only these possible
cognates:
Osage: dha'ce (bdha'ce - sta'ce - oNdha'ca i), "to
eat" (vt?)
noN'bdhe (awanoN'bdhe - wadhanoN'bdhe - oNwoN'noNbdha
i) to eat, to consume (vt?)
wanoN'bdhe, to eat, to dine (vi?)

Winnebago: ruc^-

So what is the PSi form, and which paradigm (L/D vs.
ASB is older)?

Thank you.
Connie.