Stoney Phonology

Constantine Xmelnitski mosind at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 09:23:46 UTC 2001

--- Ogalala2 at aol.com wrote:
....  My questions are:  Does Stoney not contain
> the gutterals?  Is h the
> proper phoneme to represent all three of the
> phonemes mentioned above?

In Patricia Shaw's (1980) book on phonology and
morphology of Dakotan I found the following (chapter
1):
"..Notably, however, the velar fricatives /x, g^/ of
other dialects occur as the pharyngeals [<h with a dot
below> <mirror ?-sign> ] in Stoney. This seems to be a
fairly recent sound shift for there is still some
variability in the articulation of these segments in
the speech of older and more conservative speakers".

Connie.