Proverbs

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 23 14:18:46 UTC 2001

The Yoruba language (of the Yoruba in Nigeria, just to the northwest of the
Igbo) was and is FULL of proverbs. I was there in 1996 doing research for
three months on indigenous knowledge in primary health care. There were dozens
of proverbs simply on maintaining health. As a side project and with the
assistance of my Yoruba language tutor, I wrote a short book on the daily life
of a Yoruba woman based specifically on the use of proverbs. In the
traditional Yoruba way of life, all of life was guided by proverbs.

Lance