bear, acorn

Lance Foster ioway at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 27 01:59:17 UTC 2001

Also, can anyone make sense of the Bear terms..

in IO, we have wathewe (the black one) only in a hunting-teaching song (Sister and
Brother).. while the terms are variously mahto or  munje (and variants of each).. I
tend to see mahto as Ursus arctos (Ursus horribilis etc) and the 'older' term, while
munje is Ursus americanus.. and there is a clan name that means Black Bear, tunap'in.

Any theories on these various terms?

Lance

--
Lance Michael Foster