bear, acorn

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 27 05:33:29 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Lance Foster wrote:

> Interestingly, IO is bu'je .. which is also slang for the head of the
> penis.. which I guess does look like an acorn ...of course there was a
> trickster story that had him putting his penis under a log to get at a
> chipmunk that was taunting the size of his equipment.. the chipmunk bit
> off the member bit by bit, each bit becoming a different plant, and the
> head became an acorn!

I think it was Dick Carter who told the rest of the CSD group that this
glans = acorn was a common trope (not just in Siouan languages).  The
story of Trickster and Chipmunk is also in the Winnebago and Omaha-Ponca
versions of the Trickster cycle. Though Dorsey's Omaha-Ponca version is a
bit truncated (no pun intended) in detail and a good deal of it is in
Latin.

JEK