Bows (IO tradition)/Yankton sociology (fwd)

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 24 00:24:40 UTC 2001

> Unlurking very much appreciated. The comment on the irregularity of the
> second term *ahta or *a?ta is interesting, as this is the one that
> resembled PI *a?ta? that the Blair Rudes suggested was regular in
> Iroquoian.

Oh yeah. Good point. Well, this probably has no bearing on Siouan, but for
the Iroquoian enthusiasts among us:

(0 = alpha, ` = grave accent, ' = acute accent; o^ = o-circumflex; $ =
s-hacek)

Unami Delaware /hata':p:i/ 'bow'
Unquachog <atu'mp> 'bow'
Massachusett <ahtomp> 'bow'
Loup B <tampe> 'bow'
W. Abenaki /(a)to^bi/ & Penobscot /tt0`pi/ 'bow'
Maliseet /'tahtapiyil/ 'his bow'
Micmac /api/~/tapi/ 'bow'.

Frank Siebert in his 1975 Powhatan article reconstructed PA */a?ta:pya/ for
this, tho the only language that possibly supports that is Montagnais
/a$ca:piy/. PA */ahta:pya/ might actually be the correct form.

The nasal vowels seen in most of the New England forms are regular from PA
*/a:/.

Also, Munsee Delaware has /mata'ht/ 'bow'. Not sure where that's from.
Plains Cree has /ahca:piy/.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Iroquoian lack /p/? Thus, wouldn't
glottal stop be a plausible subsitute for /p/ if it was borrowed from
Algonquian into Iroquoian? I know, if it's borrowed into Iroquoian, one
would expect the etymon to be irregular in that family and (perhaps) regular
in Eastern Algonquian, but if you say the borrowing went the other way
(Iroq. > Alg.) then you're stuck with the problem of why /?/ should go to
/p/.

David