Soup

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 28 03:05:24 UTC 2001

Actually, it's a native Algonquian word. It has an Arapaho cognate /hókok/,
and an Algonquin (Quebec Ojibwe) cognate /aboob(ii)/. This is reshaped in
most Algonquian languages to */napo:pi/ or */nepoopi/ under the influence of
*/nepyi/'water'. I could swear I saw an article somewhere by Goddard or
Pentland where this etymon was reconstructed as */apo:pyi/, tho I'm afraid I
can't find it at the moment. But either way, I guess Crow borrowed it from
Cheyenne?

Dave Costa