Portatives in Omaha-Ponca

Kathleen Shea kdshea at ku.edu
Thu Jun 14 03:39:11 UTC 2001

Bob just e-mailed me that the Kansa and Quapaw cognates don't contain an
aspirated consonant, so I'm probably wrong.  I'll check it again with my
speakers.  I sometimes have trouble hearing the difference between an
aspirated and unaspirated voiceless stop before high vowels.  It's always
good to recheck these things.  I do know that Dorsey sometimes makes
mistakes in recording stops.  His mistakes could be due to printing errors,
I suppose, but, if so, they're consistent printing errors.

Kathy