Keying Popular Orthographies in MS Word

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu May 3 22:54:00 UTC 2001

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Ardis R Eschenberg wrote:

> BTW I just reread one of John's other notes...
> I don't use alt a for an accent.  The shortcut is control + apostrophe (')
> and then the letter.  It works for both upper and lower cases of all
> vowels in Word.

OK - that would be the native method (sorry - I'm looking at Java at
work), which is useful to know, and which works because the Windows ANSI
character set is pretty complete with respect to combinations of acute,
grave, and circumflex with the usual vowels.  In fact, I usually put the
nasal vowels in the grave slots, and the accented nasal vowels in the
circumflex slots when setting up Siouan fonts.

The alt-a scheme is supported in the KeyMan keyboard that comes with the
Standard Siouan fonts.  If KeyMan is installed, and this keyboard is
loaded and active, alt-a + vowel will produce the appropriate accented
vowel in any Windows application.  If all these conditions pertain and, in
addition, one of the Standard Siouan TrueType fonts is the current font,
it still works, since the accented vowels are in the same place.  In
addition, though alt-n + vowel produces a nasal vowel (marked with the
hook), and alt-n + alt-a + vowel produces and accented nasal vowel (acute
accent and nasal hook).  If a Standard Siouan fonts isn't active, you get
a grave accented vowel or a circumflex accented vowel, depending, per the
logic on substitution mentioned above - because the substitution hasn't
been made.  Just remember that the keyboard definition and the fonts are
independent of each other.

> If only I could find the shortcut to a finished diss. Maybe control +
> stress or alt + end

Alas, none exists, though reading the sections in your word processor
manual on style sheets (or templates or whatever they're called) and on
doing major manuscripts in general will help with some of the more
infuriating formal issues.

JEK