postural verbs, verbs of motion

carolyn quintero cqcq at compuserve.com
Tue Jan 22 19:03:20 UTC 2002

In Osage, 'another' is e'z^i wiN [this/that+not a].
 I've also found s^i e'z^i wiN 'another one' in which s^i 'again' appears.
wiN is the indefinite article, based on the numeral 'one'  -  wiN'xce.

And 'others' as in ' ..the others who are sick' is
 e'z^is^ki  hu'heka
in which e'z^i 'other' s^ki 'also' and hu'heka 'sick'

The expression 'the other way' is interesting in that it uses i'ma which is
 'or'; 'which of two':

i'mahtaha, where htaha is 'toward' or 'along a path toward' .

i'mahtaha madhiN'  =  'go the other way'

Any other tribe is ohki'hce, an "off-tribe". (I'm a bit unsure of the
aspiration in -hce here).
Carolyn

Message text written by INTERNET:siouan at lists.colorado.edu

One of the things I haven't been able to track down in the several grammars
own are terms for "other/another". In many American languages these are
transparently similar to terms for 1 or 2, 1st or 2nd person, etc.  In
Yahgan
"other" also means "self". Nice economy- would be very interesting
theoretically to find out how universal it might be and what the choices of

alignment are- are they symmetrical? Do they also include non-1/2 persons,
numerals, more diverse sets of distance demonstratives, etc.?  What I've
got
so far seems to hint that bits and pieces can be missing from any given
set-
that you need to expand out to see the big picture.

Unfortunately that also smacks of mass comparison- maybe though there is
something to it (there are chess programs that assume a bigger underlying
board than just the playing field of the particular game- something also in

physics with symmetry breaking, etc.).

So does anyone have any data on "other/another" in Siouan? Yuchi would be
good too (Wagner doesn't have it that I could see).  Thanks.

Best,
Jess Tauber
zylogy at aol.com<