Virtues-wolves-coyotes

bi1 at soas.ac.uk bi1 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Jul 16 14:34:57 UTC 2002

Yes mica is interesting too.  Again it doesn't seem to be
transparent as a derivation.
While we are on animals I noticed in the Bushotter texts a word
mnaja (ie mnaz^a) as 'wolverine'.  Being English I don't know what
a wolverine is except remembering it as an epithet for a Michigan
Regiment in the Civil war led by General Custer played by Errol
Flynn.  I have also seen it in Riggs Dakota Dictionary as 'lion, wild
cat'.  Buechel doesn't have it and I managed to miss entering it in
my dictionary.  Do other Lakotanists know of this word or any
cognates?  Do Lakota speakers recognize it as a Lakota word?

Bruce