andative

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 3 20:26:19 UTC 2002

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, David Costa wrote:
> I just got the page proofs back of an article on Shawnee I'm publishing,
> where I used the term 'andative'. The editor of the journal is requesting
> that I either reconsider the term or add a footnote explaining it. (I guess
> he'd never seen the term before?) I'm using the term 'andative' to describe
> a preverb that Carl Voegelin consistently translated in his Shawnee texts as
> 'go and' or 'go do X' as in the following example:

There are serial verb constructions in Mississippi Valley Siouan that mean
'[some motion] and ...' but the scheme is restricted to motion verb +
positional with senses like 'go and stand'.  I don't recall the contexts
of exx. like this in Omaha, and never knew them in Dakotan.
Unfortunately, as far as I can recollect, these have no name.

Maybe the publisher would prefer something more like Classical Latin,
e.g., ambulative?  Departitive?  I think andative may seem sort of
"barbarous," combining an Italian or Spanish root with Latinate
morphology.  Or is andare attested for Classical Latin?

Verb tenses in Chadic languages that mean 'came and X' or 'come X-ing' are
called ventives.  This is sort of burned into my brain from an experience
with Chadic in times past.  Cases for motion away in nominal systems are
called ablative or elative, too, for that matter.  Siouanists, at least,
have no hesitation about calling certain verbal constructions "dative."
When the genius of the language is to do it with verbs, you tend to go and
use nominal terminology with verbs.  .