=(b)(i) in Dhegiha

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:09:07 UTC 2002

I found the full form, /-api/, as a quantifier -- i.e., a separate word --
at least twice in Deloria or Riggs' Dakota texts while writing my
classifiers paper recently.  I sent it to Sara, who'll know which set of
texts it was in.  It's also attested as a separate enclitic, /-api ~ -ape/,
in La Flesche's Osage I think.  I don't have the citations here with me, but
the latter instances are laid out in my paper explaining "Ablaut" in Quapaw.

So even within Mississippi Valley Siouan it's attested as an incompletely
grammaticalized quantifier in addition to it's affixal pluralizer status.

Bob