intro and question about PhD topic possibilities

Emily Schudel eschudel at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 26 19:28:44 UTC 2002

Hi!

I am writing this email for two reasons - one, to introduce myself to the
list (finally - having been in lurkdom for a VERY long time), and two - to
ask a question of the list.

My name is Emily Schudel, and I know I have met some of you in the
past at Siouan conferences (it's been awhile...).  I have just, in the past
year, decided to resume my linguistic work (I completed my Masters in
1997 at the University of Regina - with a thesis on Nakoda) and just
started my PhD studies at the University of Manitoba this fall.

Now, for my question:  I am on the prowl for a good PhD dissertation
topic and for a variety of reasons, I need to narrow down my topic fairly
soon.  I am continuing to consider the idea of doing more fieldwork on
Nakoda in Saskatchewan, but as this might not be possible (due to the
lack of speakers), I was wondering if anyone out there knew of some
"stuff" (i.e., texts, recordings, etc.) in Siouan (I am most interested in
the Dakota/Lakota/Nakoda area, but am open to other suggestions)
that needs to be worked on.  I had heard a rumour at one time about a
collection of Nakoda texts floating around somewhere that needed to
be transcribe, but that might just be a linguist's urban legend.

So, basically:  one PhD student in linguistics looking to take on some
lonely, but not yet forgotten, task in the Siouan area!  Any suggestions
on where to look - and what really needs to be worked on - are greatly
appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Emily