intro and question about PhD topic possibilities

Linda A Cumberland lcumberl at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 26 21:21:24 UTC 2002

Hi Emily,

Glad to hear you're getting back in the game!  Still keeping your music
up, though, I hope.

Just to catch you up on what I've been doing since we got together, I
should finish the grammar of Assiniboine that I'm writing as my
dissertation by this summer.  I also have two postdoctoral proposals in
the works that, if one of them comes through, will have me translating and
glossing a large body of texts that Ray DeMallie and Doug Parks recorded
in the 1980s, plus some that I recorded during my fieldwork at CTK.  It's
proposed as a two year project.

The grammar should be a very fruitful resource for a variety of further
research topics.  My greatest frustration in writing it is that there is
so much more to work out than I can include in this first project.

I don't know how soon you have to make a decision on this, but by August I
should be able to send you a copy of the grammar - fair exchange,
certainly, for your having given me a copy of your thesis when I was just
starting out.

I hope you will decide to continue with Nakoda.  There are enough speakers
left, especially at CTK, to support fieldwork, and Herb Walker was hale
and hearty last time I saw him (and he is an excellent speaker).

Good luck and keep in touch,

Linda