Dakota zipA cognates. (Specific comments)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Oct 14 19:43:55 UTC 2002

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Linda A Cumberland wrote:

> I've been trying to compile a list of Assiniboine verb roots over the past
> few weeks and I was coming to the conclusion that  -zip/z^ip (based just
> on Assiniboine words) has to do with cutting with something sharp and/or
> poking gently.

The examples support this, just as the Winnebago examples support mashing
something squashy and shaving something off.  It's only the sporadic
'pinching', 'nipping' ('stinging') and 'kneading' examples in the various
languages that serve to possibly connect everything.  I've admitted that
this linkage may be imaginary on my part, while trying to suggest that
encountering a somewhat diverse aggregation of ideas driving one to such
speculations is a typical experience for the comparer of Siouan
instrumental roots, whether operating within a language or across several.
Clearly the safest or best initial approach is to restrict oneself to
quite concrete similarities in meaning, but group these under root shapes,
which seems to be what Linda s doing.  I believe that's more or less Bob's
instinct, too.

On the other hand, both Linda and I seem to feel that there may well be
connections among the various senses associated with particular root
shapes.  I think we're both driven to the notion that these connections
are more a matter of specific developments, e.g., from 'poking (with
poles)' to 'erecting (a tent)' that Linda suggests below, than a matter of
a single abstract notion that explains all uses within a langauge (or
across several).

By the way "instrumental root" here means a root used with instrumentals,
not a root that is an instrumental.

> There's a lot of overlap between zip and z^ip.

Yes, more in Assiniboine than in Winnebago, I think.

> As for 'erect, as a tent' I imagine the process of poking tent poles
> up under the tent material to stand it up (or is this my own personal
> folk etymology?) and 'broadcloth' perhaps having to do with the
> fabrication process (ditto, last parenthetical statement). And 'bow',
> well, the purpose of a bow certainly is to poke something *and*
> cutting (at least piercing) with something sharp.

Whether or not the etymology of 'poking with poles' applies historically
here, it is plausible enough.  It probably works better than my idea of
making scalloping sags, especially given the Plains preference for conical
tents.  (What's the connection on the fabrication process?  All I know is
that it's a heavy, dense cloth much favored for shawls.)

> Here's a selection from my list, with a couple of Doug's thrown in:
>
> iNkazipa ~ iNkaz^ipa		'a plane, for smoothing wood'
> iNpazipa ~ iNpaz^ipa       	'a plane, for smoothing wood'
> iNtazipa			'bow'

Is iN here - at least in the first two forms - a variant of i- or
something else?  Note that Winnebago also has the same variability in the
choice of instrumental for 'plane' (as does Teton: c^haNic^az^ipe,
c^haNipaz^ipa - with different ablaut grades, too).

> ozipa				'to erect, as a tent'
> zipena			'thin'
> zizipena ~ zipzipena		'broadcloth'

These three are the most problematical in terms of finding a logic uniting
the roots, but the 'erect (tent)' sense also appears in Omaha-Ponca with a
root of this shape.

> naz^ipa			'to pinch by stepping on'
> paz^ipa			'to poke (the example I was given was
> 				"like getting a stick to poke an animal on
> 				the road to see if it's dead")
> caNkaz^ipa			'to shave wood, to whittle'
> yaz^ipa			'to nip lightly with the teeth'
>
> and my personal favorite:
>
> iNkpaz^ipa			'to make the sign of the cross, to cross
> 				oneself' (Doug's informant specified that
> 				this involved poking oneself')
>
> Another interesting one from Doug's Ft. Belknap consultant is:
>
> osni wiNchaz^iz^ipena		'to be a biting cold, a sharp cold, as on
> 				a clear winter day'

Here the 'pinching, biting, nipping' sense comes out very well.  I think
that's also involved in the Winnebago 'lonely' example, too.  These are
metaphors with "standard average European" analogs, too.