Dakota zipA cognates. (Specific comments)

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon Oct 14 20:27:45 UTC 2002

>On the other hand, both Linda and I seem to feel that there may well be
connections among the various senses associated with particular root
shapes.  I think we're both driven to the notion that these connections
are more a matter of specific developments, e.g., from 'poking (with
poles)' to 'erecting (a tent)' that Linda suggests below, than a matter of
a single abstract notion that explains all uses within a langauge (or
across several).

You can go crazy trying to dream up semantic connections.  Personally, I
conceived of the "stick a hole in" (+ maybe the "pinch") root as being one
version and consigned the "smooth, plane" and the "soft, mushy" to a single
root, tied together by the soft&smooth notions.  I'm not sure it matters.

So, are 'bridal TRAIN', choo choo TRAIN and TRAIN for the Olympics examples
of homophony or polysemy?  ;-)