Fw: Error Condition Re: Re: transitivity, etc,

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Sun Sep 29 23:15:50 UTC 2002

I think all the MVS languages have this pattern with at
least a few of those "experiencer" verbs.  They're not
just Dakotan, and you can get two stative pronominals.
Membership in the class varies, just as stative-status
does across Siouan.

If you believe that "subject" is part of "UG", then you
have verbs with stative subjects acting transitively on
objects -- both marked w/ pronominals from the
"stative" set.  If you're willing to set aside the
notion that all languages have a use for the notion
"subject", then you can generally deal with this set of
verbs by pointing out that there is a formal
distinction in Siouan between agents and experiencers.
This isn't a new argument.

Bob