Verbs with Multiple Stative Concords

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Mon Sep 30 05:10:06 UTC 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, R. Rankin wrote:
> I think all the MVS languages have this pattern with at
> least a few of those "experiencer" verbs.  They're not
> just Dakotan, and you can get two stative pronominals.
> Membership in the class varies, just as stative-status
> does across Siouan.

I believe there are no examples of such verbs in the Dorsey Omaha-Ponca
texts, and, though I tried hard, within my skills at the time anyway, to
elicit comparable forms in OP during fieldwork, I was unable.
This is all negative evidence, but I'm inclined to think that Omaha-Ponca
just does it differently here.

That said, Carolyn Quintero reports two cases of double statives in Osage.

wawebraN=pe 'we're (wa) tired of them (wa)' < ibraN 'be tired of'

aN-dhi'-oxta 'you love me'
< oxta 'to cherish'

However

wi'-oxta=i 'I love you'

follows the regular transitive paradigm, and the inclusive forms are

aN'oxta=pe 'we love him'
wao'xta=pe 'they like us'

which follow the regular transitive paradigm.

The closest I got to this pattern was

wi'=s^ti e'=wi-kkic^haNha
I   too  I'm as tall as you are

Note the reciprocal -kki-.  I got also

e'=s^ti e=aN'-kkic^haNha    'he's as tall as I am'
e'=s^ti dhi e'=dhi-thaNha  'he's as tall as you are' (no reciprocal)

For whatever reason, I didn't elicit the important form,

???? 'you're as tall as I am'

I think the problem was that my consultant wanted to revert to the same
form as 'I'm as tall as you are'.

I tried to fix this by doing 'bigger than' and got into problems with
a not unexpected lack of comparative forms, social issues as to the
appropriateness of making invidious comparisons, etc.

I also had

e'=dhi-dhaNska   b-dhiN    'I'm as big as you are'
you're that size I am

So I even wonder about e'=wi-kkic^haNha.

OP 'tired of' is at least an experiencer verb:

JOD 1891:61.3

wadhi'ttaN=the aNwaN'z^edha  he'ga=m=az^i
work           I am tired of little I not
I am not a little tired of the work.

The verb is aN Pat1 with u...z^edha.

JEK