Verbs with Multiple Stative Concords

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Mon Sep 30 14:36:19 UTC 2002

More nice examples.  While I haven't found as many of
these "double statives" as I'd like, I think there are
a few more such.  I guess I'm actually going to have to
dredge up my data.  Randy may have had some cases in
Crow, too.  He sent me a number of forms corresponding
to my list of "experiencer verbs", but I can't recall
the details.

One important and interesting note illustrated here in
Carolyn's data.  When you expect the sequence /aN+dhi/
signaling 'I acting upon you' with both pronominals
stative, the portmanteau, /wi-/ overrides in all the
Dhegiha data I have (which isn't much, as I've said).
Osage illustrates that here.  'I+you' is ALWAYS /wi-/,
whether in an active or stative construction.  Thus,
for those trying to elicit such things, it's important
to stick to the other pronominals:  'you+me', 'we+you',
'you+us', etc.

But I don't think the above condition applies to
Dakotan, does it?  I don't recall seeing /chi-/ as a
replacement form mi+ni or ma+ni, but there was some
invariant ordering going on in Dakotan that may explain
it.  David was the one who explained all this and he
can answer it.

Bob