Winnebago info

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 1 21:26:49 UTC 2003

Hi,

Hope everyone is enjoying the LSA conference.  Wish I could have been there, but the budget is VERY tight right now!  Hopefully I'll at least get to the Siouan conference in August!

I've been looking at a copy of the Winnebago Grammar by William Lipkind given to me by John B.  Now I'm wondering if there is any way to get a copy of Kenneth Miner's unpublished Winnebago Field Lexicon from 1984.  (John K.--You mentioned this in your paper "Winnebago Vowel Length in Diachronic Perspective" of 1986.)  I'm also wondering if there are any Winnebago recordings which I might be able to get a copy of.  (I notice there are a lot of nasal vowels in Winnebago; I'd like to get some idea of what the language sounds like, if possible, short of finding a native speaker--probably not easy in California.)  I understand there is also some question of tone in Winnebago.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions???

Happy New Year!

Dave