Winnebago info

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Jan 1 22:37:24 UTC 2003

>I've been looking at a copy of the Winnebago Grammar by William Lipkind
given to me by John B.  Now I'm wondering if there is any way to get a
copy of Kenneth Miner's unpublished Winnebago Field Lexicon from 1984.

You might try writing to Ken.  There may be an even later version.  Miner is retired from KU now, but he must have an email address.  Also, Valdis Zeps incorporated the Miner dictionary into his all-inclusive typescript at the U. of Wisconsin along with Josie White Eagle's lexical materials.  I don't know where to get a copy of the Zeps work.

>I understand there is also some question of tone in Winnebago.

Well, it's probable that nearly all Siouan languages have pitch accent rather than stress accent based on amplitude.  Dakotan may be the only exception.  It's clear that Crow, Hidatsa and Mandan have pitch accent, but Dhegiha languages have not been thoroughly analyzed from this point of view.  You can find a good summary of the Winnebago accent debate in Bruce Hays' book on metrical phonology (u. of Chicago press, I think).  Winnebago/Ho Chunk sounds very much like the other Siouan languages.  It's a very distinctive sound, unlike Algonquian, Muskogean, Iroquoian or other languages of the East and Midwest.