Winnebago info

Henning Garvin hhgarvin at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 2 01:54:01 UTC 2003

As far as Ho-Chunk material goes, the Ken Miner Field Lexicon and his other
material is archived at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  You must
recieve written permission, however, from the Great Lakes Intertribal to
access this material.

I do, however, have in my possesion the Ken Miner Lexicon, the "Zepsicon"
written by Valdis Zeps, the Dictonary work done by White Eagle and Marino,
and the grammars produced by Lipkind and Miner.  E-mail me personally for
more information.

Other resources:  Much of Radin's work is archived at the American
Philosophical Society in Philadelphia.  It is all on microfilm and I was
able to borrow it through inter-library loan here in Madison.

I haven't been able to get a copy of Susman's material, I just recently
found out our school libraries have "lost" it, but she did her work at
Berkely, I believe.  I am going to try to get it through interlibrary loan
later this semester.

There is also a huge website with language material.  I'm away from my
material right now but use any engine and search "Hotchank encyclopedia".
The website has over 20,000 entries in a pseudo-lexicon area.  There is also
very interesting cultural material.

A word to the wise.  I was able to intern at my tribe's Language Division
this summer.  After I graduate this May I am going to work full time there
while my wife finishes her graduate school.  Anyhow, over the course of the
summer myself, another intern and various speakers looked over all of these
lexicons.  In all cases the speakers had issues with many of the entries.
In one lexicon alone we had to change nearly half of the words provided
ranging from somewhat similar to completely different.  It would serve you
best to try and find a speaker.  Here's the good thing, if you contact the
Ho-Chunk Nation Language Division via their website, they might be able to
find you speakers residing in California.  One of my Grandfathers who I work
wih routinely just recently moved from California where he said there were a
few others that could speak.  I would just contact them and see if they
could put you in touch.

As a Ho-Chunk person I'm happy to hear others interested in working on our
language, and as a budding linguist I look forward to working with you in
this area in the years to come.  Good Luck

Henning Garvin
UW-Madison
Anthropology/Linguistics
hhgarvin at hotmail.com