A little more haplology.

Wablenica wablenica at mail.ru
Sun Jan 12 20:21:01 UTC 2003

This can be useful from Boas & Deloria, pg 105:

"Also with double negation intensifying the negation:

?oma'yanis^ni s^ni why don't you not walk about, i. e., why don't you stay
at home? 9, note 2;
kiNs^ wala'was^ni s^ni why don't you not read? i. e., why don't you stop
reading;
?iyo'khis^ni s^ni why did he not forbid him?;
waya'tes^ni s^ni why do you not not eat, i. e., do eat.;
ehaN'ni ?es^a's^ ble's^ni s^ni I wish (now) I had not gone;
waNca'k ?e's^ uNgle's^ni s^ni why not simply not go home, you and I;
he'chuNs^ni s^ni he ought not to do that

Intensification of the negative by repetition of s^ni occurs particularly in
adverbs.

?echiN's^nis^niyaN, ?ekta's^nis^niyaN wrongly, adversely;
?ithuN's^nis^niyaN falsely (?i' mouth; thuN to have);
?is^ta' kiN nathaN'iNs^nis^niyaN with eyes not showing 239.1;
niya's^nis^ni all out of breath (adv.) 272.17

Page 106

Verbs which include s^ni in the theme form a negation by the usual process
of suffixing s^ni.

?iye's^ni to be dumb;
ma'nis^ni to be lame;
s^i'ces^ni not to be spoiled;
h^peca's^ni to be lively (h^pa lying down);
s^pu'kes^ni to be a nuisance

Double negative also expresses repetition.

wica'las^nis^nike c?e'yas^ ?e'yayapi although he frequently demurred they
took him along;
?echiN's^nis^niyaN ?e'tuNwe? he looked away repeatedly (echiN' to want,
echiN'kes^ni to be disinclined)

Also with indefinite pronouns. taku's^nis^ni trifles; tuwe's^nis^ni anyone
whoever it may be.

page 36 (reduplication)

*h^peca's^ni to be full of life, action (s^ni not), *h^peh^pe'cas^ni.47
47 The reduplicated form h^peca's^nis^ni is used more frequently