A little more haplology.

Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC CaRudin1 at wsc.edu
Tue Jan 14 14:35:49 UTC 2003

I seem to have somehow sent this just to Pam (unlike the usual thing of
accidentally broadcasting a personal note to a whole list...)  It's not
that important, but since we seem to have gotten into geographic spread of
"to lightning", I'll send it along for what it's worth.  I grew up in a
mostly European immigrant Jewish community in Wisconsin with Texas
interludes, so "my dialect" is a bit of a hybrid, but it seems to me the
other kids used lightning as a verb in both Madison and Houston.

----- Forwarded by Catherine Rudin/HU/AC/WSC on 01/14/03 08:25 AM -----
 "I saw it lightning" is fine.   So is "It lightnings a lot in summer
around here."  "It thundered last night but it didn't lightning hardly at
all."

The verb "lighten," on the other hand, has nothing to do with what goes on
in the sky; it's something that happens to colors and loads and moods.

Now if only I had any such clear insights into anything Siouan...  :-)

Catherine