Information / nouns vs. verbs

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Sat Jan 11 20:51:13 UTC 2003

I think the way linguists use "haplology" it is generally exactly the
way Linda used it, regardless of what the dictionary says. (Or else I
have been teaching my historical linguistics classes wrong all these
years...:) ) Thus, of course, the joke "haplogy" is a wrong instance of
haplology, since the two "lo" syllables are pronounced differently. It's
still funny, though (and I tell my students about that one too).

Pam

--
Pamela Munro
Professor, Department of Linguistics, UCLA