Information / nouns vs. verbs

David Kaufman dvklinguist at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 11 20:54:01 UTC 2003

John,

The definition of haplology is:

"A sporadic change in which successive syllables, etc. which are similar in form are reduced to one."  This is from The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics.  They give the example of Late Latin idololatria 'worship of idols' being reduced to forms such as French idôlatrie > English idolatry.

Your definition is an easier way of saying the same thing!

Dave