horse paper

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Apr 20 19:58:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Michael Mccafferty wrote:
> The elk-based thing is neat. Thanks. This seems to arise from the same
> semantic pool as the early Nahuatl term for the Spanish horse: "mazatl"
> ('deer'). (Later in Nahuatl the term becomes "cahuayo".

Alan confirms that he hasn't written anything on 'horses', but comments
"So you have words like "big dog" (Cree; also Santee Sioux) or "elk dog"
(Blackfoot and Gros Ventre)."

It has occurred to me that any comments I recall from class on 'horse'
might just as well be from David Rood, rather than Allan Taylor. The pig
paper probably led to a mythical horse paper through a sort of mental
short circuit.