Behind the 8-ball

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Wed Apr 21 13:52:50 UTC 2004

Can't say for sure, of course, but those higher numeral terms, esp. 8 and 9,
seem rather unstable within Siouan at least.  Nine is widely borrowed in or
between Siouan and Algonquian, i.e., the /ki$aNhka/ term.  It is very hard to
reconstruct 7, 8, 9 for Proto-Siouan without appealing to "irregular" changes.
'Eight' is also borrowed in Kansa (and, I think, Osage) and resulted in
competing forms.  Kaw has /ppe:ya:bliN/, the inherited form, along with
/kkiado:ba/ which looks very much like a Caddoan borrowing -- prob. from Wichita
(although there is a folk etymology analyzing it as "two X four").

There's that article on Algonquian numeral words in the Siebert Festschrift, but
I haven't read it yet.

Bob