Behind the 8-ball

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 14:12:05 UTC 2004

As one of the two authors of that article on Algonquian numeral words in the
Siebert Festschrift, I can say that number borrowing is *very* common within
Algonquian, but *much* rarer if you're talking about Algonquian borrowing
from outside the family. We didn't address the issue of 'why' any of these
numbers were borrowed, beyond pointing out possible trade contexts. The
number eight doesn't have any special mythical significance that I'm aware
of, and that question seems unanswerable to me. All I can say is that the
original Proto-Algonquian word for 'eight' was lost by the earliest records
of Miami-Illinois, and replaced with a neologism meaning 'two missing' or
something like that (/nii$omeneehki/); that form is preserved in certain
Illinois dialects. But in other Illinois dialects, you have the Tutelo loan
/paraare/, and by the modern language it's /palaani/. Intervocalic Illinois
/r/ becoming later M-I /n/ is not normal, but both of those variants *are*
attested in Tutelo. So what seems to be happening is the Tutelo > M-I
borrowing was so recent, it was borrowed in different forms in different M-I
dialects, and other dialects didn't do it at all. Which says that the period
of the M-I speakers being next to the Tutelo wasn't all that long ago, which
seems very interesting to me, since Indiana and Illinois aren't very
geographically close to central Virgina...

David