horse paper

lcumberl at indiana.edu lcumberl at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 21 15:04:41 UTC 2004

I suppose I should track down this horse paper, but in the meantime, I noticed
in Dave Miller's introduction to Denig's "The Assiniboine" that JNB Hewitt
replaced the word "medicine" with "divining" in Denig's manuscript:
"consequently ... 'medicine dog' (the Assininboine term for horse) became
'divining dog'" (2000:xvi).  Now, this is surprising, because the word for horse
in every Asb dialect, as far as I know, is (as I communicated earlier) "big
dog", not "sacred/medicine-dog" as it is in Sioux.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Denig's authority on the Assiniboine
words for things in the mid-19th century, living as he did for two decades at
the central trading site in the heart of Assiniboine territory, is pretty
unassailable.  So what happened?

Linda