lack of rhymes

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Fri Dec 3 08:00:05 UTC 2004

 >>Both forms are found for 'Sitting Bull"

Tatanka Iyotake [txataN'ka i'yotake] or Tatanka Iyotanka [txataN'ka
i'yotaNka] - and also: ~ yotanka etc.

Buechel gives _i'yotakA_ (to sit down) different from _yaNkA_ (to sit/be
sitting). So the famous chief's name obviously describes a buffalo in
the movement of sitting down (with the forelegs still standing on the
ground).<<<<

 >  Alfred W. Tüting wrote:
Both forms are found for 'Sitting Bull"
Tatanka Iyotake [txataN'ka i'yotake] or
Tatanka Iyotanka [txataN'ka i'yotaNka] - and also: ~ yotanka etc.

I am not sure where the Tatanka Iyotanka form - common in popular
literature - originates from. I have reasons to believe that the correct
form is ThathaN'ka I'yotake, pronounced ThathaN'kiyotake in fast speech.
Jan <<

Sorry for my (consequent!) typos in misspelling the pronunciation :( (it
should've been [txatxaN'ka] of course.

BTW, what over and over is puzzling to me is the use of umlaut change in
proper names, which seems to be pretty arbitrary (cf. the differing
versions here: - iyotake/iyotaka).

Alfred