Caddoan Corn (Re: Fw: OK and more Ofo/Biloxi)

Anthony Grant Granta at edgehill.ac.uk
Wed Dec 15 16:53:13 UTC 2004

And Adai <ocasuck>, however that was pronounced (? /okesak/)

Anthony

>>> John.Koontz at colorado.edu 15/12/2004 16:24:44 >>>
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
>I only bring it up here because there is pretty clearly some Caddoan
>influence in Biloxi and Ofo, to wit, the word for 'corn'.
>
>  Ofo:                        a-cé ki           'corn'
> Biloxi:                     a-yé:ki           'corn'
> Pawnee:                     ré:k  su       'corn'
> Pawnee:                     ni kii s         'corn' (Gilmore 1919)
> Arikara:                     ne:    s^u?    'corn'
> Wichita:                      té:    s ?       'corn'
> Caddo:                          ki  si?       'corn'

Doug Parks lists an absolutive (independent noun forming) suffix -u for
Pawnee.  The comparable element in Wichita seems to be ?a, though I don't
mean to suggest that this is cognate.  Even douvting it was cognate would
be overreaching myself in Caddoan!  I believe that in both cases these
elements occur with some nouns, but not with others with no conditioning
factor known.  The critical element is that the suffix occurs with an
affected noun in its independent form, but is lost when the noun is
combined with something else (presumably following).

I suppose that since in this corn set Pawnee has -s, Arikara has -su?, and
Wichita -s? that isn't a factor here.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible and delete it and all copies of it.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

The message content of in-coming emails is automatically scanned to identify Spam and viruses otherwise Edge Hill do not actively monitor content.  However, sometimes it will be necessary for Edge Hill to access business communications during staff absence.

Edge Hill has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.  However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Edge Hill for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
<<<<EdgeHill>>>>