anuNg - nupa

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Feb 2 19:32:32 UTC 2004

 >I looked for a Dakotan member of this possible set, but the best I could
come up with was naNp?anuNk yuza 'to take hold of something with both
hands'.  NaNb is plainly 'hand', and yuza is 'to grab'.  AnuNk is 'on both
sides' in several contexts, e.g., anuN'gwakhic^as^ka 'saddle bags', but,
as such, seems a bit inexplicable.  It doesn't seem to involve a morpheme
for 'two'. <<

I always imagined that  _anung(k)_ [anuN'g] was composed of a-nuN-k
where the center part derived from _nupa_ [nuN'pa] -> nub -> num [nuN],
the initial part is _a-_ (on, upon) and the _-g/k_ ending might be the
remaining rest of some truncation process. Hence, 'on/from both sides' (?)

Only recently, I was pondering on _anunkhasan_ [anuN'kh^asaN]
'Weißkopfadler' where _anunk_ and _san_ seem pretty obvious, whereas the
middle part _ha_ [h^a] - to me - is not. Any hints?

Alfred