2 x o...phA

Wablenica wablenica at mail.ru
Thu Feb 12 18:08:30 UTC 2004

Hello Koontz,

KJE> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Wablenica wrote:
>> It looks that there are (were) two "opha" verbs: o'pxa, o'wapxa,
>> o'uNpxapi, "to join; follow; participate" in Boas&Deloria, and opxA',
>> owa'pxe, uNko'pxapi, "to go by way of".

KJE> What's the page number on this?  I see that Buechel lists just o'pha
KJE> (ouNpha=pi) 'go with, follow; be present at, take part in'.  He puts a
KJE> macron over this o, but doesn't write oo as in previous entries (which I
KJE> assume have rearticulation).

(Boas & Deloria "Dakota Grammar")
Page 79.
80. Stems with two initial vowels.
Locative prefixes are often contracted, either among themselves or
with other elements. In these cases the accent is on the first
syllable and the verbs are treated like those with uncontracted
prefixes.

i'phi to be satisfied with food, i'uNphi;
o'pha he joins, takes part in, o'uNpha(1)
---------
1 But opha' to go by way of, uNko'pha.

Page 32.
The following also behave irregularly [as regards ablaut - C.C.]

Variable: yu'ta to eat; opha' to go by way of
Invariable: ayu'ta to look at; o'pha to take part in, to join a group

--
Best regards,
Constantine Chmielnicki mailto:wablenica at mail.ru