OP Derivatives of dhiNge 'to lack'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 17 07:08:01 UTC 2004

I had noticed some examples of OP dhiNge with derivational prefixes that
seemed to still have the experiencer subject structure that I thought
might be interesting.

1) gi'dhiNge 'to be without one's own'

90:356.19-20

miN'z^iNga wiN e'gaN gi'dhiNga=            bi=ama
girl       a   thus  they lacked their own PL QUOTE
'in the same way they lost a daughter'

It's difficult to tell in the third person, but I assume this form is not
transitivized, but remains stative in inflection, and thus an experiencer
subject verb in syntax.

2) udhu'dhiNge 'to be insuffficient for one'

90:725.6

u'wa?i=                       the udhu'dhidhiNge=tta=the
what they give you (=rations) the they will surely be insufficient for you
'You are likely to find the rations insufficient'

(This is a future of certainly, with the evidential dhaN appended to the
irrealis marker =tta instead of the usual auxiliary.)

Here the patient form -dhi- for you shows we have an experiencer
formation.

3) udhu'kkidhiNge 'to not suffice among a group'

90:735.2

nittaN'ga masa'ni=khe maNz^aN' udhu'dhikkidhiNga=i=              dhaN
ocean     beyond  the land     it did not suffice for all of you when

maz^aN' wiwi'tta=dhaN dhathi
land    mine     the  you came here

'As you apparently found Europe insufficient for you, you came here to my
land'

(Example of evidential dhaN as 'when')

OP reflexives are normally active, but here we have -dhi- P2, not dha A2.

It's interesting to se that kki- goes not take the form kkig- before dh in
dhiNge as it does in the next case, before the instrumental dhi.

4) kkigdhi'dhiNge 'to destroy for oneself by tearing'
   < underlying dhidhiN'ge 'to destroy by tearing'

wathe'=dhaN kkigdhi'dhiNge=                      xti= aN= bi=  ama
skirt  the  she destroyed for herself by tearing very AUX PROX QUOTE

It's difficult to tell here, but it looks like the dhi-instrumental
transitivizes this form.

I also noticed, but am a bit puzzled with:

i'dhiNge 'to be tired'

Assuming we have an instrumental locative, and not some sort of
directional marker, I suppose this is 'lacking by means of'.  That sense
might underlie the next two.

z^e'(=)t[h](=)idhiNge 'to excrete' (z^e' 'excrement')

I suppose the structure here has points in common with English 'to void'.

z^aN(=)t[h](=)idhiNge 'to be sleepy' (z^aN 'to lie')

More or less, 'sleep deprived'.

I assume the -t- is the article the 'the (inaimate upright)' here.

JEK