Hochank variant

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Feb 18 07:53:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Rankin, Robert L wrote:
> Interesting form.  It pretty clearly represents /Hochangara/, "Hochunk"
> with its article.

I believe the first vowel is long, i.e., hooc^aNk ~ hooc^aNg=ra.  I'm not
sure if there is more than an intrusive schwa between the final k and ra.
For example, keec^aN'g=ra 'O (the) Turtle' is written by Lipkind (p. 39,
No. 52) with -g<schwa>ra.  Some forms do restore e between k and ga, e.g.,
was^c^iN'k 'rabbit' ~ was^c^iNge'ga 'the Rabbit', but this may be a
property of ga.  Not all forms do this, e.g., hinUnkc^ek 'son's wife' + ga
=> hinuNkc^eka 'my son's wife'.