More regarding "wa"

Jimm GoodTracks goodtracks at GBRonline.com
Fri Jan 9 05:24:35 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koontz John E" <John.Koontz at colorado.edu>
To: <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 10:42 PM
Subject: Re: More regarding "wa"

> Note that wablu's^ka, like wamakhas^kaN and ziNtka'=la, is probably one of
> the basic category terms for lifeforms in Dakotan, though I don't know if
> anyone has investigated this anthropological linguistics issue in Dakotan
> or any other Siouan language.

I cannot speak to your thought above, but I know with certainty that the
term "wamakhas^kaN oyate" occurrs regularly in sacred ceremonial songs.  In
general, it is my understanding in sacred context, that it referrs to all
the "meat eating four leggeds", such as the wolf, coyote, fox, bear, etc.,
and is often allied to the South direction, from whence they (as spiritual
guardian grandfathers) are beseeched to attend the prayers of the
participants, and lend support and assistance to the supplication.
Jimm