example uses of digitized material - brave against the enemy

Pat Warren warr0120 at umn.edu
Thu Jan 15 05:14:01 UTC 2004

Hi yall,

I thought I'd give people some visuals on some of the things I'm doing with
the texts I'm digitizing. I posted the first chapter from "Brave against
the enemy - Thoka wan itkokhip ohitike kine he" (1944), part of the BIA
Indian life reader series, a bilingual english-lakhota modern story. Here's
the URI:

http://free.hostdepartment.com/i/imageStorage/nodes/sources/afraidofhawk_br
ave/index.html

I know it works in IE 6. There's no xml in this sample, so I hope it'll
work in other broswers too, even if it's not as pretty. The images are low
resolution so they download fast. The lakhota text is unicode, so you have
to have a unicode font installed. I use, and told the web page to ask your
broswer for, Code 2000. You can get that font at this URI:

http://home.att.net/~jameskass/CODE2000.ZIP

I hope you find it interesting! Some other great uses of digital text are
the work of Jan Ullrich. His site:

http://www.inext.cz/siouan/

Pat